Monday, January 24, 2011

its my party

[twenty-four]

The compound of getting older is simple: once a year you celebrate the day that you were born, and everyone sends you wishes of happiness etc. etc., and then you live your life a year older the moment that day is finished. I suppose that it is a nice day, gifts and well wishings and such, but to be honest it is just any other day. It is almost a bigger deal to your mother than it is to you, or should be anyway.

But I guess I do enjoy it, since its my birthday today. I was bombarded with wishes the first minute it started, and to be honest it hasn't stopped... I like my birthday because it is an excuse to get together with people, and for everyone to be happy. In my family we have this tradition that whoever's birthday it is gets to choose the music, the restaurant, the activities, etc. It is your special day, today it is mine.

I had a couple of shots this morning with my girlfriends, and then had a relaxing night watching sex and the city until I fell asleep. Breakfast this morning and then a beer at lunch, and the rest of the day spent relaxing makes for an awesome birthday. Now I am with the boy-friend and we are going to have some wine and watch movies, and it has been a wonderful day. I don't need to be busy, I just need to be with people I love and happy.

The first memory I can remember is of my third birthday and everyone is singing hapu birthday to me, and I am crying. I am embarassed, and I don't know what to do or say. I feel like that on my birthday sometimes, because I feel like it is a lot of unecessary attention... If its subtle then it is appreciated, however.

So if you've had your birthday already this year, or if you're waiting desperately for your special day: Just remember that you are special everyday, you don't need one day to celebrate. I had a wonderful birthday, and I hope you have a wonderful night.

Jess :]

No comments:

Post a Comment