Monday, January 17, 2011

he likes you

and you don't even know it

[seventeen]

I was getting my nails done today and realised that I have had only two different kinds of manicure-treatment in my life. The first kind is that of a well done job, but the manicurists performs the act of the manicure in silence or near-to it. the other is a half-assed mani but the girl doing it is talkative, lively, and very interested in conversation. I have a theory that these two nail treatments are examples of two different kinds of business, both effective, but do people prefer one over the other?

Its the argument of efficiency vs. customer service. Although both are elusive and fit into each other's categories, in the nail treatment example it is clear which is qhich. It is almost a battle between quality vs quantity. Do you want to spend money on a conversation getting to know someone who you will not see again and get an alright nail job, or would you rather spend money to get a well-done nail job and little conversation? Personally, I know I'd rather be alone with my thoughts while my hands get pampered, but its a matter of preference.

I feel that businesses today would rather get things done efficiently and as fast as possible with little recall, little faults. There's no intimacy anymore, there's no mix of the two. It is hard to find a solid business that has good customer interaction that has a solid product. Maybe retail stores are exempt from this. I am talking about services. People are either rude and efficient or nice and slack a bit more. I would rather have a quiet manicurist, but I don't want a silent doctor.

This is beginning to also be an rgument of public and private. Is it necessary for public services to have any intimate conversations with clients? If you are paying for something that you want to be good, is it acceptable for silence? Its a fifteen dollar manicure, it sin't required for human health to get those, but you would assume that you are paying for an experience.

I think all of this depends on where you go. Those two salons both charge very different rates, but it all boils down to what you want to get out of it. If you really just want nice nails, go to the silent but good workers. If you want to go out with the girls for a relaxing spa-like day, head to the polite and conversationally open one. Businesses rely on the word of mouth for business, and I bet both of those places have a huge client-base.

This has been sort of repetetive and boring so I apologise, I'm trying to organise my thoughts on business, marketting, and manicure salons. The word salon sticks with me as hair, nails, and other kinds of beauty-related services. I feel like there should be an atmosphere there, not just a silent, mozart-filled room. I think that it all depends on what you like, and that determines where your allegience will lie.

With other services, like a plumber or an insurance agent, I feel that an intimate touch is needed. These things are directly related to your life, they are necessary, and they affect you immediately. In order to feel secure and comrtable people need to know that they trust the person who is dealing with personal matters. It is important for those kinds of businesses to ensure and garauntee customer satisfaction in that of the personality and attitudes of their workers. A lot of those type of businesses are self-run though, and a lot less bureaucratic.

It is weird to think of the world of business by way of customers. I feel that corporations today are only thinking of getting a job done rather than giving a customer what they want or need. If they make money, they're happy. What everyone has to realise is that in order to make someone happy you need to deliver what they need, and businesses can do that, by satisfying customers.

What a circle of a blog, I'm sorry, things aren't coming out the way I wanted. I think I'm still stuck in that rut I was talking about in my last post. Something's not right, there's a piece of my puzzle that isn't fitting in right. The blue paint isn't making yellow when it mixes with the green, its coming out a bright red colour. Bright red for FIGURE THIS OUT ASAP GIRL.

So I hope everyone has a lovely evening, I'll work hard to not make such a mess of a blog tomorrow. I have to finish Shakespeare's Measure for Measure and write a lovely personal monologue for tomorrow. I hope your night requires less looking into yourself via religion and courage and a little more organised thoughts!

Until tomorrow,

Jess :]

No comments:

Post a Comment