Thursday, January 27, 2011

eet.

[twenty-seven]

It's like forgetting your favourite book out in the rain,
it's like jumping into a pile of leaves to find they cover mud,
it's like having a huge project due and the storm knocks the power out,
it's like the middle of winter and you're missing spring,
it's like forgetting what lightning looks like,
it's like getting your hair done and the humidity ruins it,
it's like january, but I wish it was April.

For more than a couple of reasons, it would be a lot less cold and a lot more rainy; it would be a lot closer to the end of the year and a lot less closer to finishing projects and readings; it would be a lot more exciting because everyone could be included and a lot less excluding as of now; it would be better, period.

So I'm sitting here, thinking of thunderstorms as I am about to embark upon a twenty-eight paged essay on a novel that I haven't finished, and I've recently been thinking about writing recreationally again. I mean poetry; I mean short stories; I mean possibly picking up my novel again... I sound like any other English major: "I went into English because I like to write...you know, stories and stuff..."

I remember the first time I wrote a story for someone else to read. It was sixth grade, and it was about a girl who got accepted to go to a boarding school for dancers and she goes and meets friends and boys and it has a weak happy ending. I wrote it on the computer, printed it out in purple ink, and gave it to my teacher to read. It was twelve pages long. I still have it somewhere, and I'm prettyy sure that teacher told me it was wonderful, she probably was trying to not hurt my feelings. I am still friends with that teacher on facebook, she is really close to me.

But for the past five years or so I've been working on a concept of a novel, and another reason why I'm looking forward to April is that with the end of the year brings free time for me to start reading recreationally again aswell, and also possibly actually sit down, and I am thinking about in addition to writing this everyday, writing something like a chapter of this novel everyday. This pledge is in the works, stay tuned for an actual promise.

I feel proud of myself that I've stuck with this for this long! Its almost been a month, and I do love to write down my thoughts everyday. Some days I have nothing to say, and it shows. But other days (today included) and most of them I do have an idea, and I do look forward to writing it. Hell, I put off this beautiful critical essay to rant on and on about my writing.

So if you have a hobby, let it be sketching or writing or shopping if that's what you like, I challenge you to turn it into a project. Give it a purpose, a meaning. I'm debating giving every week a theme for my blogs, maybe the first week of february will be about childhood memories or my favourite literature, but that is all in the works right now. Chances are I'll post some sort of make-shift schedule of that on the first of February.

Is that ground hog day? Or is that the second? I've never been good with day.

Have a lovely evening!

Jess :]

No comments:

Post a Comment