Sunday, December 4, 2011

hunt down the deadliest hurts

[three hundred, thirty-six]

This is going to be short because I should be studying but I was having trouble finding articles online so now I'm writing this. I sort of have to pee, but I'm going to wait until I really have to. I have to eat the chocolate from my advent calendor, it is a constant adventure finding the correct chocolates to open, I really am a success story, you know.

My computer is really hot and I'm hoping that it doesn't overheat, so I'm thinking about turning it off. I wanted to talk a little bit about Christmas.

Just for a paragraph or two. I don't care about the materials, it's the experience and substance that matters to me. I'd rather spend the day spending nothing but time with someone, rather than pay for things or do things that may be meaningful, but are still just things. We all just have things. Things. They aren't eachother, they aren't what the symbolize, it's the thoughts and meanings we apply to these things that make them meaningful. Strip away the physical thing and you have the meaning. It's irritating when some people have nothing but things.. And hardly any meanings.

Christmas to me is not about things. It's about the smiles exchanged, and the laughter and the love that overpowers during this time of year. Grinches are alone for a reason, and that is because although they may be smart, independently driven people, they have no value for substance. Take a look at your christmas shopping list, and think of who will actually use or find meaning in what you're giving them. I know a couple people that I'm buying for that... Well, if I give them anything chances are they won't remember who gave it to them in a year or two.

How depressing is that? And I am culprit to this, since I don't remember sometimes who gave me what. But meaning is something I apply to the special things. I attribute a signifigant thought or memory to everything, therefore claiming to memory importance and love and substance... I don't do this for everything, but most things.

I challenge you this christmas to take the time to appreciate the effort put into things that happen along the holidays. Dinners, conversations, laughs, hugs, beverages, decorating. Everything that is not a "thing." but a "something meaningful." They're the best part, really.

Love,

Jess :]

No comments:

Post a Comment