Sunday, May 1, 2011

I'M BURNIN UP FOR YOU BABY

[one hundred, twenty-one]

I hate the Jonas Brothers, but I absolutely loved that song. I have this thing with music that if I like one song I can, but if the band sucks it sucks. The J-Bro's were mainly focusing on their fame, less on their music, more on what they could sell. The definition there-in-lies that they suck. However, if you take one relatively okay song, and mix it with repetition on steroids, the song in question becomes catchier than intended. If there is any consolation in this, this is how music becomes popular, but it all begins with taking risks.

I am all for taking risks musically, because tehre is always a reason that the people on the radio refuse to play an abundance (or any at all) local artists, or promote local shows, and thus defines more clearly the sell-out. If you truly love music, and it is your passion, you will have an open mind. You can certainly have opinions. I, for example, don't care too much for twenty-first century bands with female singers. This is a generalization; it does not mean that I will refuse to listen to female artists or singers, it just means I prefer not to. I think that if I refused altogether I'd be neglectful, and closed-minded. Today is a day for definitions.

As much as I love music, I tend to be very defensive about it. I find that people who love music are always a certain type of person that is clear and concise with their musical choices. You can tell a person's style and interests by their favourite band, and if you catch a glimpse of anyone's itunes it is like catching a glimpse into their being, their spirit, it is an inspiration and an aura of their person. It is important to who they are, if they value talent and maintain a stable, albeit oppinionated, state of choices when it comes to music. If you love it, you know it inside and out. If you are a music person, your music reflects you--or rather, you reflect your music.

We are formed and shaped by our choices, this doesn't exclude music. I wouldn't be the same person today if I didn't pick up that Godzilla soundtrack when I was twelve, that had the song "heroes" by David Bowie on it. I would not be the same person today if I didn't love "Burning up" by the Jonas Brothers, what I listen to shapes who I am. I have this thing about my itunes however, that you have to ask to look through it. I hate it when people judge my music, because it is so close to me, or if they want to "take" it all, it is like they are taking my identity. This is just who I am, I think in music, my thoughts can be deciphered on a five-lined staff or through headphones. It is me.

But my life isn't music, I wouldn't die without it, I would never say that my life revolves around the music I enjoy. I think people who say that are full of shit, because they don't know the bands, they don't know the intentions, but they do know the effects that it has on them. It makes more sense to say that it is a part of you, or it molds who you are, as opposed to saying that your life is about it. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I am a devotee of music and I don't think my life revolves around it, I'm a music junkie, what can I say?

I DIG MUSIC.

That's all for tonight I think, youtube burnin' up for me tonight, take a minute, lkisten to the words, dance, etc. It's catchy, it makes you smile, it's fun to sing. I'm going to have some relaxation time, which is what the next four months are for!

Take care,

Jess :]

No comments:

Post a Comment